RTPs MEMBERS AT THE CONSORTIUM
RTPs that conforms the Consortium have a multidisciplinary area of expertise according
to GEEWHEZ capacities. The RTPs of the Consortium are as follows:
- Prominent (Italy) and TECHNOVATION (Chipre): These RTD performer have a broad experience
on water analysis and management. These companies provide technical solutions for
water monitoring system.
- FAICO (Spain): This RTD performer inside the consortium with specific skill on image
detection and analysis. Its main activity is the integration of machine vision-based
image analysis in the surveillance solution inside GEEWHEZ.
- UC3M (Spain): This company has a huge experience in software system development
by the implementation of the administrative and management add-on (ERP). Moreover
UC3M will provide a great support in the leisure add on implementation.
- T-CONNECT: Due to its previous experience in other EU and national projects, focused
on middIeware design and implementation, T-Connect's main role is the realization
of the GEEWHEZ distributed middleware. In cooperation with UC3M, T-Connect will
realise the mobile infrastructure and applications able to collect info from the
visitors of the parks
Now, we present a detailed description of each RTP.
Technovation Solutions Ltd (Chipre)
is a dynamic research performing SME possessing research experience in a wide range
of industries, such as: Industrial management, Construction management, Renewable
energy sources and Offshore aquaculture. In addition, the company has an extensive
network of associates both in Cyprus, Europe and Globally. This network includes
SMEs, SME associations, large Companies and well-known Academic Institutions / Research
Centres. In particular, Technovation Solutions has the following Innovation Competences
and Research experience:
- Innovation Competence:
- Offshore aquaculture operations analysis, mapping and optimisation.
- Mooring system design and construction including dynamic environmental loading parameters
determination, extreme loading scenario generation and respective structural analysis.
- Cost-benefit analysis (deterministic & stochastic) of alternative offshore aquaculture
investments and their respective merits.
- Offshore stand-alone renewable energy system design and deployment to support offshore
- Environmental parameters monitoring and analysis to establish how these affect offshore
- Research Experience:
- Developed a deterministic / stochastic model of offshore aquaculture operations
and respective costs.
- Developed an optimisation tool of offshore aquaculture operations and fingerling
placement / demand satisfaction strategies and respective merits.
- Currently develops a methodology for offshore aquaculture mooring requirements investigation
and mooring scenario development.
- It is about to initiate a research endeavour to develop a smart feed management
data tool for offshore aquaculture industry with the aid of a stand-alone renewable
- Currently works with Cyprus Commercial Banks association and a software Company
to develop an "Operational Risk" software tool for the Banking Sector. The role
of Technovation is to define system requirements, and mathematically model risk
elements, develop mathematical processes necessary, and results interpretation tool.
- Currently works with a large consortium of food sector companies to develop economic
feasibility analysis of adopting new food packaging High Pressure Treatment Technology.
This analysis is to be based on Internal Rate of Return analysis and Activity Based
Costing approach. Deterministic and Stochastic approaches will be employed.
- Developed a Quality assurance tool for the Construction Industry applied to small
residential houses sector. Key construction processes were mapped, and respective
quality checks were identified. Statistical analysis of gathered data was organised
and results' outlook was designed.
Fundación Andaluza De Imagen, Color y Óptica (FAICO, Spain)
FAICO is the Innovation and
Technology Centre in Graphic Arts, Image, Colour and Optics located in Sevilla (Spain).
Since it was established in 2003, the non-profit organization has promoted and conducted
applied research and technological development to reinforce the competitive strength
of its customers, mainly SMEs.
FAICO is officially qualified as Technology and Innovation Support Centre by the
Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, being today a Technology Reference Centre
in the industry. FAICO specializes in the fields of Machine Vision, 3D Design/Digitizing,
Graphic Arts and Optics Engineering. Our mission is to provide the customers with
the best technological solutions tailored to their needs. We apply our resources
to develop, implement and optimize industrial processes and products in relevant
fields of expertise. The main RTD activities and technological Solutions are as
- Machine Vision Applications
- 3D Design/Digitizing
- Printing Technology
Since its foundation FAICO has been involved in several RTD projects applied in
different industrial areas:
- A2 TRANSFER. Transfer of automation technologies in the agrofood industry
in the regions of Andalusia and Alentejo (POCTEP).
- RETICs. Ocular Pathology for Ageing, Visual and Life Quality (Spanish Ministry
- MANOSVISUAL. Dissemination and availability of paleontological resources
for blind people (Spanish Ministry for Culture).
- VirSSPA'10. Integrating a commercial 3D Digitizer in an automated operating
room (Spanish Hospital "V.del Rocío").
- CONTECTIC. Digital Cultural Contents in a Virtual 3D Exhibition (Spanish
Ministry for Industry, Tourism and Trade).
- THERMOGRAPHIC MONITORING. Themographic Monitoring of industrial ovens of
cement (Spanish Ministry for Industry).
- DETECTION OF MORPHOLOGICAL MALFORMATIONS. Detection of morphological malformations
of sea fishes in a fish farm using machine vision technologies. (Andalusian Department
for Sciences and Innovation).
- CLASSIFICATION OF CRAYFISHES. Automated processing plant of crayfishes. Detection
and classification of crayfishes (Private Funding).
Andalucía.es: FAICO. Centro de desarrollo tecnológico, 3D y realidad virtual.
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain)
Carlos III University of Madrid was created in 1989 with the objective of providing
high quality and efficient service to society through education. The university
is divided into three schools: Social Science and Law School; Documentation, Communication
and Humanities School, and the Engineering School. The university offers high quality
and competitive doctoral studies as it is derived from the fact that it was the
first university in Spain to obtain the Quality Distinction for all its Ph.D. programs
awarded by the Ministry of Education. In the recent call of "International Excellence
Campus" of the Spanish Ministry, the University has received the highest award.
The Engineering School includes both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Mechanical,
Computer Science and Telecommunication Engineering. Its faculty includes 381 full
time members plus about 370 part time teaching staff and has an enrolment of 5497
undergraduate students. Within the Carlos III University and its Engineering School,
the Department of Telematic Engineering has its teaching activity in the Computer
Science and Telecommunication degrees; and its research activity in the area of
technologies related to communications, services and applications. In the year 2005
it participated in the submission of 32 research proposals (10 of them to projects
funded by the European Union).
The research activities are organized into two groups. The Group of Telematic Applications
and Services (GAST) has research experience and participates in projects related
to semantic web technologies, technology enhanced learning, ubiquitous computing,
real time computing and intelligent environments. The group and its team of about
36 members have more than 15 years experience participating and coordinating both
national and international research projects. As two examples of this activity,
the group participated in the NEWS (News Engine Web Services) project in the scope
of the VI Framework Programme. The group was also the coordinating partner of the
E&LANE (Europe and Latin America New Education) project, a 10 partner project funded
by the @LIS Programme (Alliance for the Information Society) of the EuropeAID Coooperation
T-Connect Srl (Italy)
T-Connect is set up in AREA Science Park, in Trieste, one of the leading multi-sectorial
Science Parks in Europe. T-Connect is a SME highly involved in research and development
objective mainly focused on software design and implementation for mobile / wireless
inclusion. The interest of T-Connect in this research niche is demonstrated by the
several EU and National projects where T-Connect are involved:
- Location based system design and development (POLLICINO, CAMMEO);
- Access control (MGC)
- Smart environment / building (Hydra, SMART-D, XTRACE)
- New communication solution (MIMAX, PENforCEC - in this project T-Connect is a consultant
of University of Rome Tor Vergata)
Currently T-Connect is in negotiation phase for EFIRE, an EUROSTAR programme project
focused on the implementation of a monitoring network for fire detection in remote
woody areas and it is waiting for the evaluation of the following research projects:
- RIMAC, an intelligent county network able to manage the energy flows (coming from
renewable sources and from the classical distribution network) in a group of buildings
- LOG2PORT, a distributed system for mobile/wireless devices to manage logistic inside
- Urban Sensing